How to Redecorate with Rugs
One of the easiest, quickest ways to give your living room or bedroom a new look is with rugs. Area rugs can give your space a fresh appearance and can be placed over hard flooring or carpet. At Pottery Barn, you'll find a wide selection of floor rugs in many sizes, styles and colors.
Benefits of Floor Rugs
No matter what type of rug you choose, there are some advantages you'll enjoy. Here are just a few of the reasons to add a new rug to your home:
- Rugs protect the floor underneath from dirt and spills. They also minimize the damaging effect of foot traffic on the floor and can even help insulate against walking sounds because they provide more padding.
- The floor coverings at Pottery Barn are available in styles ranging from traditional to trendy to complement your design style. For example, a living room with leather furniture can look even more sophisticated with a Persian-style rug in a jewel tone like ruby red or emerald green.
- They also come in various textures for even more aesthetic appeal. There are woven floor coverings crafted from seagrass and sisal that work well with a coastal-inspired bedroom or one with a rustic look. If you like a plush feel, consider a sheepskin or shag rug.
- There are solid and patterned rugs in the selection at Pottery Barn. It's easy to achieve a polished, put-together style by matching the main color of your rug with one of the accent colors in the room. If you have a blue table lamp in the living room, a rug with blue as its main color would coordinate beautifully.
- Floor coverings aren't just good for the inside of your home. Pottery Barn has outdoor floor coverings in an array of options for your porch or patio. They're resistant to the elements and add elegant style to your outdoor gatherings.
Selecting a Rug Size
Figuring out the style and color of your new rug isn't the only thing to consider. You'll also want to think about what size your rug should be. As a general guideline, you'll want at least 18 inches of floor space around the rug's borders, especially in the living room or bedroom. For throw rugs and runners in small rooms and hallways, you can get away with having less space around the rug. To prevent your floor covering from slipping, place a rug pad underneath. Pottery Barn has pads in various sizes to fit your floor rug.
There are rugs to match every style preference at Pottery Barn. Whether you're shopping for a throw rug or something larger to serve as the room's focal point, you'll find no shortage of options in the selection.